About the Management Committee
The Law Centre is an independent organisation, governed by the Law Society’s Code of Ethics. It is run by a Management Committee. There are 14 places on the Management Committee which is made up of representatives from local groups and individuals elected at our Annual General Meeting, with an additional six places that are reserved for representatives from our council funders and another five places are for co-opted members to address any imbalances on the committee. For example, disabled people, women and people from BME (Black and Minority Ethnic) groups.
Our Articles and Memorandum of Association, updated in December 2015 are available here: DLC Articles of Association 2015
Can anyone become a member of the Management Committee?
A Management Committee member must either be an individual member or a representative from an organisational member. If you are not a member, you will first need to complete our Membership application form. For more details on how to join the Law Centre please download our Details of becoming a member document. Once accepted, you are able to be nominated onto the Management Committee by completing our MC NOMINATION FORM
What skills and experience should the Management Committee have?
The committee possesses a wide range of skills and experience including:
- Strategic Planning
- Management (in voluntary, private and public sectors)
- Political (elected representatives and members of pressure groups)
- IT Management
- Networking (locally and nationally)
- Caring for disadvantaged people in the local community
- Having direct experience of being older, disabled and/or carer.
Applicants need to:
- Possess skills and experience required to move the Law Centre forward, these include; management and personnel skills, financial and political awareness and the opportunity to network at all levels.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the ethos of the Law Centre
- Be willing to attend a bi-monthly Management Committee Meeting
- Where necessary, induction training for the management role (including charity commission trustee training) or a particular position, ie Company Secretary, can be provided.
If you would like to discuss joining our Management Committee, please contact Sharon Challands on 01246 550674.
The Law Centre currently employs 12 full-time and 10 part-time paid staff. The team consists of 4 solicitors, 1 Legal Executive, 2 advice workers, 3 coordinators, an Advocate, 2 Personal Navigators, a social worker, 2 paralegals, a trainee solicitor, an Assessment Supervisor and 4 administrators. The staff team is supported by a team of volunteer assessors who take initial telephone enquiries through our Assessment Service.
The staff group is highly competent, skilled and motivated, with knowledge, skills and experience in social welfare law as well as financial and project management skills. The Law Centre has authorised litigators who represent people in County Court including Duty Schemes.